Thursday, May 5, 2016

Vegan "Chicken" Cacciatore

Today is Thursday and in our house that means it's Pasta Night!!! Well at least for the past three weeks that's what it's meant. I received so many requests for this recipe I made last Thursday so of course I had to share it with you!! I hope you give it a try!! It was a huge hit in my house!!

You can see what pasta dish I make tonight for my husbands birthday dinner tonight by heading over to Instagram and following me @veganwife.veganlife or following my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Vegan-Wife-Vegan-Life-229319020775860/


Vegan "chicken" Cacciatore 

Ingredients:

2 green bell peppers

1 red bell pepper

1 pint crimini mushrooms

1 pint baby bella mushrooms 

1-27oz.can diced tomatoes

1 24oz jar of your favorite marinara or make your own

Olive oil

Salt

Pepper

Garlic powder

Basil

Nutritional yeast 

1 package of Gardein Meatless "Chicken" strips

1 pound of your choice of pasta (I used a Penne style pasta)



Directions:

Prepare the peppers by removing washing the skin, removing the ribs and seeds. Next dice the peppers into approximately 1 inch pieces. 

Clean your mushrooms and chop them to the same size as your peppers. 

In a large pot, I love to use my Dutch Oven,  heat a few splashes of olive oil over medium heat. Add your mushrooms and cook for 5-10 minutes then add your peppers. Sauté until the peppers are almost fork tender, but be careful not to overcook them at this point because they will also simmer in the sauce. I like to season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and nutritional yeast before adding in the diced tomatoes and marinara. It's a great way to get an extra layer of flavor. 

Add in the diced tomatoes and marinara. I like to make my own, but I also like to use Newman's Own Roasted Garlic sauce when I'm short on time or just simply being lazy. Season with a little more salt and pepper. Let simmer on low heat. 

While your sauce is simmering bring a pot of water to boil, salt the after and cook your pasta according to the directions. You can also sauté your meatless strips according to the package directions. 

Chop your strips into bite sized pieces and mix into your sauce. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add in the cooked pasta. Sprinkles more nutritional yeast on top before serving.

Serve with Italian bread and a salad if you would like! I hope you enjoy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment